Pages

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Patterning
 
Last week the students had an introduction to patterning. Today I placed some different colours of glass square tiles and some coloured cubes to see what patterns the children would create on their own. Three or four of them created some simple patterns but enjoyed showing me the pattern and explaining their colour pattern. Each of the students were able to name their pattern by explaining the colours they used to create the pattern. Each of them were also able to explain what would come next in the pattern. Amazing math was happening in the Kindergarten room.
 
 
For this pattern I asked the girl if she could use the same colour glass tiles but make a different pattern. She told me she could put brown, beige, brown, beige. Then later she called me back to tell me she could put two beige, one brown, two beige, one brown. Now that is great mathematics in the area of patterning.


 
As more patterning occurs in the classroom I will hopefully be able to post more pictures.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment