Pages

Saturday, November 9, 2013

Following the Students Lead in Learning
The other day in the classroom there was a large spider crawling along the floor. Some of the students started to shriek and then one of the boys exclaimed,"don't touch it, don't kill it, remember it is nature and it is a living thing". Later on during read to self time a few of the students were examining some of the books about spiders. Some of them asked if we could learn about spiders. So that is where some of the learning will be going next week. During learning time there were many, many "I wonders" from the students: 
I wonder why spiders are not an insect?
I wonder why some spiders are big and some are small?
I wonder why some big people are afraid of spiders? My mom is afraid of spiders.
I wonder why spiders make a web?
I wonder how they make a web?
Where do they get the stuff to make the web?
What do they use to make the web sticky?
What is the biggest web ever?
Where we live are the spiders okay or are they dangerous to people?
What are spiders good for?
What are the spiders enemy?
How long does a spider web last?
If anyone has some wonderful books about spiders that we may borrow to help with our learning please send them in with your child. I will be posting the students questions on our "I Wonder About Spiders" board and as we find answers I will post those for all to see. It will be interesting to see if the students will be encouraged to make spiders and webs.


No comments:

Post a Comment