Pages

Saturday, November 30, 2013

Shapes
 
The students have completed the unit on shapes. They have used a variety of shapes in their building and talked about rectangles, squares, triangles. They completed a shape picture after listening to the story Mouse Shapes and on Friday I put out geoboards and elastics and the students used the materials to make a variety of shapes. I went around the classroom and asked them to identify the shapes they had made and asked them how they knew it was that shape. Many of the students were able to explain, it is a triangle because it has 3 edges and 3 corners.
 
The students received a short lesson on how to use the elastics in a safe manner and how they could use them to make a variety of shapes. I am very pleased to announce there was not one accident with the elastics.
 
I find it very interesting because the morning students were lining up to use the geoboards. In fact I had to go and borrow some more from another teacher because they did not want to wait for the experience. The afternoon class, not one student showed an interest in the centre all afternoon.
 


"I made lots of rectangles. I know because they have 4 edges and two are short and two are long. Some of skinny rectangles and some are fatter".

"I made rectangles and then I put a triangle in the middle. There are more rectangles than triangles because 4 is a bigger number than one".
 
"I made squares and rectangles. When you put them together you can tell the difference because a square all the edges are the same size".

 "I just made a bunch of long rectangles. They are easy to make".
"I made rectangles and one triangle".

 "I tried to make a triangle but I could only do it with 4 edges because I could not get the corner on the top so then it looks like a edge. Oh no now it is not a triangle now I don't know what it is".
"I made two rectangles and put them like this and now it is an X with rectangles".




No comments:

Post a Comment