Pages

Saturday, May 17, 2014

Math
 
I have little cards that are ten frames with some of the squares in the ten frame coloured in. The students sit in a large circle and I give each student two or three little cards faced down in front of them. When I call the students name they turn over one card and then subitize the number on the card. All the students love the game and often request we play it. This little game has assisted all the children to develop their subitizing skills.
 
 
There are some SK students who are ready for math problem solving. Approximately twice a month I meet with those students independently and they work on the problem. Sometimes I scribe (write) their thinking for them when they orally tell me how they solved the problem. However, many of them are able to show their mathematical thinking by making pictures and writing number. It is very interesting to see how their little brains come up with the answer in so many different ways.


No comments:

Post a Comment