Pages

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

By Heart Words
 
 
In many of the grades children use word wall words. These are the most frequent words the children will come across when they are reading or writing. Many of these words can't be sounded out, they must be memorized. In Kindergarten I have decided to call them the By Heart Words  because I want the children to know these words by heart.
The words that we have on our board at the moment are:  am    at    I      the. 
Yesterday both the morning and afternoon group children gave me a few sentences to write which I wrote on chart paper. Some of the sentences were the following:
I am at the park.
I am at the beach.
I am outside.
I am at the studio.
I am at the lake.
I am at the river.
 
Today some of the afternoon children took their sentence strip and printed the sentence onto a paper and drew a picture of themselves to make the sentence.  Mainly the SK children chose this activity. The morning children will have an opportunity to do the same thing on Thursday. This is the beginning of their story writing, but they can successfully read the sentence because they orally gave the sentence first and most of the words are By Heart Words, which we practise daily.
 
The children can easily access the By Heart Words because they are placed on Velcro which they can pull off and return after copying the word in their writing.
A big thank you to Mrs. Rogers for setting up the By Heart Word board for me yesterday when she volunteered in the classroom!


No comments:

Post a Comment