Pages

Saturday, October 13, 2012

PATTERNING IN MATH
 
 
The first part of the lesson will be to find out where the children can find patterns in the classroom. We will search the room to find some patterns. It may be on a shirt, or on someones socks.
Next I want them to show me what they know about patterns so I will ask for a few volunteers to come to the easel and draw a pattern on the chart paper. This is always difficult with Kindergarten children because they all want a turn. In order to solve this problem I tell the children they can come and make a pattern on the chart when ever they wish and put their name under the pattern.
 
Day 2 Lesson    On the chart I will have the following on the chart and they will tell me what goes next.

 
              

 Then we move into sound patterns...clap, pat, clap, pat. I won't say a whole lot, I just do the patterns and let the kids join in. Then I let them make up their own sound patterns. I will ask the children how they know what comes next. I want them to come to the conclusion that the patterns repeat--over and over again. Like everything else math-related, I do not directly tell them. I let them figure it out on their own--with a little pushing in the right direction from me. Then I ask, "Does anybody know what that's called--when something does something over and over again?" They might say repeating pattern--they might not. If they don't, I tell them.

At the same time the Kindergarten children will continue to have daily practise with subitizing and many numeration activities.


 
 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment