Pages

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Kindergarten Writing
 
I am thrilled with the writing that has been happening in the Kindergarten classroom. There are many JK children who eagerly demonstrate a desire to write almost every day, which is very exciting to me. The JK children are usually writing about one sentence, when I assist them. What happens is the children make a detailed illustration of their story first. Then they tell me their sentence and I count for them the number of words they have in the sentence. Then I stretch out the sounds of the word for the children and they write the letters to match the sounds. The only words I insist they spell correctly are the By Heart Words, otherwise the words are spelled phonetically. Research shows that if children think they have to spell every word correctly they will not but quality into the writing and will not have to desire to write. If your child wishes to write at home, just stretch out the sounds for them. There are some SK's who are beginning to write and they are independently stretching out the sounds and writing the letters to match the sounds. These children are definitely getting ready for grade one.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment