Pages

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Language
 
For this week the jolly phonic sound will be "sh". The children will bring home the new sheet because this is not a review. It is time for the SK children to have some time with learning the few blends, since these appear in their reading and their writing and will assist them for grade one next year. The following are some of the words we will focus on:
shack, sharp, shape, shot, shape, sheet, sheep, shell, shift, shine, ship, shock, shot, shoot, shop, short.
 
 
There are two By Heart Words for this week:  him and her.
 
 
The children are really developing their inferring strategies. On Friday, I showed the children a poster where there was one boy in a white shirt yelling at another boy in a red shirt. The boy in the red shirt had his fingers in his ears. I asked the children to explain what they inferred was happening between the two boys. The following are some of their explanations.
 
  1. The boy in the red shirt does not want to listen to the other boy. I know because he has his fingers in his ears.
  2. I think the boy in the white shirt is yelling and angry at the other boys because his mouth is wide open and I know when someone is yelling their mouth is wide open, and he is angry because his eyebrows are pointing down.
  3. I think the boy in the white shirt is yelling because the boy in the red shirt said something mean to him and the boy in the red shirt is teasing the other boy. He is probably humming or singing and not listening to the boy.
  4. Maybe the boy in the red shirt won't be his friend and this is upsetting the other boy.
All of this inferring from one poster. I asked them what they would do if they were the boy in the red shirt and there answers were fabulous.
I would try to listen to the other boy and be his friend that is what kind hearts do.
I would tell him talk to me, please don't yell and scream at me because it hurts my ears.
I would tell him when you want to talk that is kind but when you yell you upset me and then I would walk away.
 
This was a fabulous learning experience for me and for all the children. I am glad they are focusing on what a kind heart would do. Hopefully they will remember this lesson and carry it through their interactions with other children.


No comments:

Post a Comment