Pages

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Shape Learning
 
The students have been learning about shapes as part of the Kindergarten Curriculum. The shapes they are required to know are: circle, square, rectangle, and triangle. They have successfully found circles, squares, triangles, and later on rectangles in the classroom.
 
As part of their learning I placed a variety of 2D pattern blocks and a large piece of black paper. I asked the students to create whatever they wanted and to explain to me what they had created. For many of the SK students I asked them to explain what they used more of and to explain how they knew.
 
One of the little boys told me that "he used 10 triangles and he knew 10 triangles was more than 5 squares because when he counted he said 5 first so it was a little number". I asked him how he knew this and he explained, "now Mrs. Foote listen carefully to me, are you listening, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. So when I counted I said 5 first and then later on I said 10, see the numbers get bigger when you count more numbers". Wonderful mathematical explanation from a 5 year old.
 
Here are some of the students creations. Sorry I can't include them all!
a flower with no leaves

 a big highway maze
 houses, grass and a windmill
 a flower shop and a windmill
 a flower
 Me playing in the snow and the sun is shining.
 Different houses, grass and the sun.
 It's just a design.
 A rocketship
 Me playing in the grass.
 
It's a snowflake.


No comments:

Post a Comment