Pages

Friday, November 15, 2013

Working with Numbers and Stones
 
The other day I challenged the students to use some of the stones to create something using the number of stones indicated on the card. One student was to make something using seven stones and another was using eight stones. I am including some of their wonderful creations for you to see for yourself how mathematics can be incorporated into the Kindergarten classroom without drill and practice or a worksheet.
 
The first two students told me that seven and eight were too easy so we challenged ourselves to use bigger numbers. After all we are SK's Mrs. Foote.

 This student made the number ten using ten stones.
 This student made a fancy number one.

 This student made the circle with one in the middle and told me it was a flower using 11 stones. "But when I added the stem and the leaves I used 17 stones. That is an SK number."
 
In the afternoon I challenged the students to find things in the classroom that were the shape of a circle. They found a water bottle and told me it was the lid, a roll of masking tape, container for playdough both the bottom of the container and the top of the container, the sorting container is one big circle. The students demonstrated they have a strong sense of circles that are found in the real world.





No comments:

Post a Comment