Pages

Saturday, September 14, 2013

Discovery/Science Centre
 
At the discovery centre last week I placed a small bouquet of pink flowers that a friend gave to me. I also placed some magnifying glasses, crayons, paper, and books about flowers. The children were encouraged to visit the centre and use the paper and crayons to sketch what they noticed about the flowers. I was amazed how many boys eagerly visited the centre and worked diligently on their sketches. Our windows are nicely decorated with many sketches of sunflowers and the pink flowers.
 
When at the centre, one of the SK boys noticed and commented how there was a book that had the same picture of our flowers. This opened a wonderful discussion because another child commented, "but the pictures in the book you can't feel the petals and leaves, the way we can with the real flowers and leaves". Then another child asked, "I wonder how the picture of our flowers got onto the book"? One of the girls explained, "Mrs. Foote took a picture of it with her ipad, like she takes pictures of us and put it into the book".
 
This lead me to wonder if perhaps it would be beneficial for the children to learn how a book is made. This is something for me to ponder over and perhaps ask the children if that is something they want to learn?

No comments:

Post a Comment